New to wakeboarding? Here’s a short guide
Wakeboarding is a „ stand up ” nautical sport which developed over time from a combination between waterskiing, surfing and snowboarding. The first record of this sport is dating back to 1985 when when Tonny Finn invented this sport.
Woman riding wake surfcapetanos.com
The wakeboarding full equipment is similar to that of other watersports too:
- wetsuit / swimsuit
- life jacket
- towing cable.
Looking for a water sport full of fun and adrenaline? Wakeboarding is the answer for you. The rider’s wakeboard will be attached to a boat that dragges it at high speed and allows the rider to do tricks in the air. The recommended age for wakeboarding is to be at least 10 years old. However, there are instructors that will let your child try wakeboarding even at the age of 6!
It is essential for the rider to be able to swim and to not have any medical issues or medications that might put their life in danger.
The best locations to learn or practice wakeboarding
This wakepark was established in 2011 and over time it became one of the most known wakeparks from Europe. Wakeboarders from all over the world go to this place almost all year long.
- Timetable: everyday from 10:30 AM to 20:00 PM ( from 1st of April to 31st of October )
- Between the 1st of November and the 31st of March, the park is open only by reservation. So if you choose to travel there in this time frame, make sure to book a reservation first.
- Location: C/ Via del estany petit, sn. 07400 Alcudia – Mallorca, Spain
- Group (1–5 people): 100 €
- WakeXperience: 22 €
- WakeXperience Premium: 35 €
- (low season) 1 hour (no equipment): 70 €
- (high season) 1 hour (no quipment): 80 €
- Wake Passes (6 rides): 70 €
- Equipment rental: 5 € / piece
- Contact: +34 633 66 44 39
This is the perfect place to come with your family, friends or even alone. Mallorca wakepark hosts a lot of events and competitions, so if you are brave and skilled enough, try your luck and participate.
The tutors are full of patience and happy to share their skills with you. Spending the vacation with your family here is the perfect choice, because the instructors can teach almost anyone how to wakeboard and have fun while doing it.
Woman with wakeboardcapetanos.com
This park is the perfect place for beginners, but not only. The instructors here are great and they will guide you and let you exercise until you are ready. You have to be at least 16 years old and have a wetsuit with you.
They are open everyday between:
- 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM
- 12:00 AM – 02:00 PM
- 04:00 PM – 06:00 PM
- Location: Calle de Torent, 4, Palma de Mallorca
- Price: from 80 € / 30 minutes
from 120 € / 1 hour
Elspot is one of the best wakeboard schools from Mallorca. They offer an unique and fun experience and they have 3 options to choose from:
- Wakeboard lessons
- Private lessons
The wakeboard lessons are dedicated for the impovement of the techniques. There is a max number of 2 participants / session. An instructor will teach you the secrets of wakeboarding, and after that, each participant has 20 minutes in the water.
The private lessons include a boat and an instructor that will focus only on you. You will have a private boat trip and at the end of the day you can admire the sunset.
Last, but not least, the intensive wakecamp. This is a 5 day camp with 5 to 7 people. You will benefit from lessons and wakeboarding between 09:00 AM and 01:30 PM, and after that you will enjoy fun activities with people from the camp. They will also offer you trampoline training and snacks. You will not regret such an experience!
- Location: Palma Nova Yacht Club ; Paseo del Mar s/n – 07181 ; Calvia – Mallorca
- Timetable: everyday from 06:00 AM to 10:00 PM
- Contact: +34 600 344 976
- Wakeboard lesson: 50 €
- Private lesson: 120 € / hour
- Wakecamp: 300 € / 5 days
It is a more luxurious place where you can try out wakeboarding in Mallorca, and also have a cruise.
- Location: Club de Mar ; s/n, Muelle Pelaires, 07015 Palma, Islas Baleares
- Contact: +34 611 039 513
- Price for wakeboarding: 250 € / hour
The minimum booking time is 2 hours.
- Timetable: everyday from 07:30 AM to 21:30 PM
After spending the day wakeboarding, you can enjoy a half day cruise or a sunset cruise on one of Palma’s luxurious boats. On the boat they have delicious foods inspired from the local gastronomy and a large variety of drinks. The price for a sunset cruise is 600 € and for a half day cruise is 750 €.
Teen girl wake boardingcapetanos.com
Accommodations in Mallorca
- Ars Magna Hotel – is located in a quiet place, but close to any interest points that a tourist may have. It is just a few minutes away from the metro, the airport and the oldtown, and it is the perfect hotel for a family. The prices for a room start from 120 €.
- Playa de Palma Palace – is another beautiful and modern hotel. They host a lot of events and activities, so it is the perfect place to go if you don’t want to get bored. Prices start at 130 € and they have a 9.3 stars rating on Booking.
- Palace Bonanza Hotel Resort – is a seafront hotel located close to any touristic attractions. This hotel offers a lot of relaxing activities, but also the posibility of practicing watersports. If you decide to make a booking on their website, you will get a 10% discount.
Even if Mallorca is known for the nautical sports that can be practiced there, you should extend your vacation and explore the beauty and the local gastronomy of this place. A restaurant that has exceptional local food is Quitapenas Valldemossa, so don’t forget to try it out.
If you found this article helpful and you have in mind visiting Spain, then check out our article about a sailing week around Costa de Sol. Spain is a country that has a lot to offer, so take your time and visit everything you can. It has a warm climate all year round, so you can travel to Spain anytime you want, and still have the best experience ever!